This is a recipe from the cookbook Good Mood Foods by Donal Skehan. The recipes are simple with easy to understand instructions and beautiful pictures. They use fresh, healthy ingredients and most are readily available.
This book was published in Europe so I had to translate temperature and measurements. I used one of the many conversion sites on the net, Traditional Oven is one of my favorites, to convert the measurements.
2 eating apples, grated
100g / 3½ oz raisins
90g / 3½ oz rolled oats
105g / 5 oz wholemeal flour
90g / 3½ oz brown sugar
200ml / 7fl oz goat’s milk
2½ teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 200°C / 400°F
- In a large bowl mix the flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- Add the egg and milk to the center of the dry ingredients. Using a wooden spoon gradually incorporate the dry ingredients to form a thick, wet mixture.
- Fold in the grated apple and raisins.
- Spoon even amounts of the mixture into baking cases in a muffin tray.
- Sprinkle with a little rolled oats and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Makes 8 to 10 muffins.
The muffins can be frozen. I put a few in individual baggies for breakfast during the week and they came back perfectly.